What is Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA)?
SMIPA is a professional year program which has been approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. It is available to overseas students who have successfully gained an Australian accounting qualification with at least two years of study in Australia. The SMIPA Program has been co-developed by CPA Australia (CPAA), Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA).
What does SMIPA involve?
- A minimum of 44 weeks training including a 12 week internship placement with a relevant, local South Australian business.
- Recognised as a 485 Graduate Visa pathway for students seeking permanent residency under General Skilled Migration.
- Professional Development in real work place environments, preparing students to work within the culture, expectations and ethics of an Australian business environment.
Who is eligible to apply?
- Completed a recognised accounting course in Australia that provides 2 years credit points over a minimum of 18 months.
- Have a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 in all 4 competencies, or equivalent.
- Have a valid skills assessment from one of the professional accounting bodies.
- Hold, or applied for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485, either stream) with at least 12 months validity or hold an eligible secondary visa with work and study rights with at least 12 months validity.
Benefits of SMIPA at Salford College
- Placement at well-respected local South Australian businesses.
- Taught by local chartered accountants who own their own accounting firms, our trainers have strong networks with local industries.
- Qualification for possible additional points toward your application for permanent residency.
- Professional year program certificate upon successful completion.
- Ongoing career development and assistance after completion.
- Opportunities to network with South Australian businesses.
What are the learning objectives of SMIPA?
- Work under the Australian legislative requirements applicable to workplaces and companies.
- Participation in a team environment.
- Understanding of Australian work practices and Workplace Health and Safety (WHS).
- Fees: $8,250 (instalments available).
- Administration fee: $250
- Duration: 44 weeks, with 12 week internship.
- Class times: Weeknight and weekend classes.
Enrol before December 31, 2016 and pay only $7,250 course fee plus $250 Administration fee
Total Price $7,500